Letter of September 4, 2009 - My Volunteering

Letter of September 4, 2009

Dear friend!
Well, there it is! I can announce it to you now. I joined the group of volunteers from the hospital. You know, those people who donate their time and raise funds for the activities of residents of the hospital. The average age of this group of volunteers is around 75 years and I confess that this is not the attractiveness that brought me there.

Behind this decision there is a story I would like to share with you. To start you knew that mom has always played music, often with groups. She accompanied the entertainers and choirs at festivals and homes for elders. Mom had to give up her activities one by one to keep only the one of the Association of Volunteers. She now plays at the organ and she accompany the choir at the religious office, on Saturdays and Wednesdays. This activity allows her to go out twice a week.

And now mom has mobility problems, she must walk with a cane, which makes her more irritable and she also began to panic: "There is no question that I leave this activity," she said "I'm not senile yet, you know! I am just having trouble walking. The day I will no longer go play music in the chapel of the hospital is that I'm in one of it's beds. "

Have you ever came at home? You would have found the house very big, with its 7 rooms and also the basement to maintain. But Mom is quite resourceful and has managed to get the label "disabled" which allows her to use paratransit services and she is also entitled to subsidized domestic help. It's good for her morale. She was embarrassed to receive people when her household was not done, even us, her childrens. We suggested, very gently so as not to offend, to go live in a senior home, it's smaller and she would have services nearby, but she would not absolutely want of that. She was afraid of not doing what she loves above all, play the piano, and at any time of day or night. She also has always lived in this house and she is accustomed to his neighborhood. I tried make her a visit more often, but again, I did not always felt myself welcome, perhaps because the household has not been done and she was feeling monitored.

So we were all a little worried, everyone on our side, with no daring to speak about it, and at Easter, when all the family was reunited, Francoise has addressed the issue. My sister, Francoise, is always at ease discussing some hot topics. She is the diplomat of the family and our mom makes her a full confidence. Francoise has had the idea to register herself as a volunteer at the hospital, to help our mother in her activity. Many residents are paralyzed and in a wheelchair and the volunteer's task is to lead them to the chapel and, after mass, bring them back to their room. My sister, is also assisting our mother in the distribution the song's books. She told me she wanted to experiment volunteering and finally, she told me she likes to do it. She has found the recognition she can not find in her workplace and she is so very happy.

A few weeks ago, I offered to replace Francoise so she could take a leave if necessary. It seems that my proposal was appropriate, as she wanted to go to Quebec city with her handsome husband, Lucien, for their 35th wedding anniversary. So I also gave my name as a volunteer, to the delight of organizers who are seeking replacement. So I attended several times at the pastoral activity and I have learned what were my sister's tasks, I have discovered that I enjoy singing. Volunteering allows me to do some different things and it provides me with new experiences that I will use later in my writing.

For example: Before the Mass, we are entitled to a free dinner with the chaplain. Those people of another generation have discussions rather curious and piquant, Ouch!, I prefer not to intervene, but I feel I'll have fun listening to them.

Since the spring, organizers are seeking someone who can work at the gift shop, a few hours on Sunday. I think I'll offer my services. I've never done that and I'd like to learn to use a cash register. We never know, maybe, when I'll retire, I will have some customers with a store, so I will know how this kind of business does work.

I'll write to you again to share with you some details of my daily life. It makes me feel good, you know, it's important for me to know that you're reading me.

Kisses and see you soon .....


Sincerely, Gelisa




MOM AT THE PIANOThis is a photo of my Mom that I took during the Christmas holidays last year.
She is 87 years old. She really doesn't look her age, isn't she?
She is very proud of us, having us besides her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WANT TO LEAVE A TRACE OF YOUR VISIT OR GIVE YOUR OPINION? DO NOT HESITATE TO WRITE A COMMENT.
Thank you for your visit and see you soon.